Code Compliance

The mission of the Code Compliance Division is to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. They help maintain and improve the quality of our community by administering a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements. They also work with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies, and other city departments to facilitate voluntary compliance with city laws and codes. The division empowers community self-help programs, develops public outreach programs and establishes community priorities for enforcement programs.

Answers to Commonly Asked Code Related Questions

How can I report a violation?

Effective July 1, 2021 - A code inspector may not initiate enforcement proceedings for a potential violation of a duly enacted code or ordinance by way of an anonymous complaint. A person who reports a potential violation of a code or an ordinance must provide his or her name and address to the respective local government before an enforcement proceeding may occur. This paragraph does not apply if the code inspector has reason to believe that the violation presents an imminent threat to the public health, safety or welfare or imminent destruction of habitat or sensitive resources. Here is link to the full version of CS/SB 60:

Violations may be reported via email to: or by calling (954) 602-3174.

Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from city officials regarding city business are public records, and are available to the public and media upon request. Your email communications, including your email address, may therefore be subject to public disclosure. 

How can I contact the Supervisors or the Manager of Code Compliance?

Supervisor Nilka Smith (locations east of Douglas Road), Supervisor Duvard Francois (locations west of Douglas Road), and Manager Ricardo Collings may be reached at

You may also call Supervisor Smith at (954) 602-3199 or Supervisor Francois at (954) 602-3182.

How can view the status of a violation / view existing code compliance cases or submit a code compliance complaint? 

Please visit:

How high can I let my grass grow?

Grass must be mowed regularly and cannot exceed 6 inches in height.

Can I store things outside? 

Outside storage of trash, junk or items not intended for outside residential use is prohibited. A property owner may have (1) one recreational vehicle in good working order on the property that he or she owns. This includes campers, travel trailers, etc. The recreational vehicle should be on a driveway, in an enclosed garage or carport, or within rear or side yard of the residence. Seaworthy boats are allowed as long as they do not exceed 25 feet in length or beam width of 7 feet. Boats must be parked on a driveway, in a carport, in an enclosed garage or in the side or rear yard of the residence. All trailers, boats and vehicles must display a current registration/tag.

Derelict & Inoperable Motor Vehicles 

Wrecked, partially dismantled or otherwise inoperable vehicles may not be stored except in a fully enclosed garage. Inoperable vehicles are subject to towing at owner’s expense and property owners fined.

How can I park my vehicles? 

Passenger vehicles can be parked in a driveway, carport or garage or on the swale facing the same direction as the flow of traffic. Vehicles may not be parked upon lawns.

What about commercial vehicles?

No commercial vehicles over one ton carrying capacity, designed to transport more than fifteen (15) passengers, or used for commercial purposes and is so marked can be parked in residential areas unless engaged in bona fide pick-ups or deliveries.  The parking and storage of trucks in areas zoned for agriculture, commercial or industrial uses that are not associated with the established business located on the property is prohibited.

What Codes apply to the exterior of my house? 

The code requires that your house be painted and kept free of mildew, stains, chipping and peeling paint. The city does not require that you obtain a permit to paint your house. The property should be kept in good overall condition and free of any and all debris or trash. All doors, windows, and shutters should be in good working order. Trash cans should be stored out of view and should only be put at curbside on collection days.

Obstructions on the right of way such as boulders and pyramids are prohibited as they represent safety hazards. Landscaping in the right of way, next to driveways or on corners must be trimmed to allow drivers to view approaching traffic.

May I place a real estate or garage sale sign in front of my home? 

All signs are prohibited in the right-of-way and on utility poles, fences, and trees. You may have one real estate sign and one “For Sale” sign on the property. One garage sale sign is allowed on the property during the sale.

How can I get information for garbage and bulk trash and yard waste collection for my area?

The question is answered by the city’s Public Works Department. Please see their website which answers these questions and also provides email and phone contact information, should you have additional questions or need to contact them: click here.

Do I have to register my alarm system? 

Every person who installs, owns, leases, possesses or operates any burglar alarm system within The City of Miramar is required to register the alarm with the Code Compliance Division of the Miramar Police Department, prior to activating the alarm system. Applications can be obtained from the Code Compliance Division at 11765 City Hall Promenade or by calling 954-602-3186. A registration fee of $50.00 must accompany the alarm registration application.

You may download the Flyer in (PDF).

Are there any dog restrictions? 

Dogs are not allowed to roam at-will upon any property except its owners, without being properly leashed, nor are they allowed to defecate upon the private property of others or upon city property, unless it is removed promptly by its’ owner.

Swimming Pool Maintenance

Please keep your pool in a safe and sanitary condition at all times, to prevent it from becoming a breeding ground for mosquitoes. It is the responsibility of the property owner and/or occupant to ensure that a safety barrier is in place to prevent unrestrained admittance to the pool.